[SG] Room for Dessert

Friday, August 10, 2012

With a sweet tooth like mine, there's always room for dessert! A catchy name with raving reviews, it's been a place I've been wanting to try out for quite some time. Though with its short opening hours, it's always hard to catch them especially if you're working.

Known for their red velvet cake as well as having one of the best carrot cakes in Singapore (acclaimed by some), it is no surprise that they run out of both rather quickly. After making the 4th trip down, I finally got my piece of red velvet cake, (it's either closed, or sold out every time I go) and of course, with high expectations tagged to it given that I've made so many trips down!

As usual, the carrot cake was sold out but I'm not a fan of carrot cakes either, so I ended up getting its red velvet and key lime pie.

Key Lime Pie 


A refreshing twist to the usual sweet desserts, this is good for a little change to your taste buds. The lime was only moderately sour, so fear not if you'd usually cringe at sour plums or raw lime. It's more of the sweetened lime juice you get from most hawkers, made into the curd form. It was very soft and melted in our mouths almost immediately. Surprisingly good I would say. The tart, however, was a tad disappointing as it wasn't crispy enough to give that extra texture to the soft curd, and neither was it the buttery kind that melts in your mouth. It fell apart easily and didn't gel well with the lime curd. The meringue on top wasn't good either. It wasn't whisked till light and fluffy and ended up tasting like sweetened whipped cream. 

Nom Factor: 6.5/10

Red Velvet Cake

According to the owner (or so I thought since she's the only one I see there all the time), this is meant to be served at room temperature. So if you're buying it for takeaway and refrigerate it for later consumption, do remember to leave it out at least 30minutes prior to serving. 

For fans of red velvet cake, I would say, this was the most disappointing piece I've ever tried! I thought it was because I had high expectations but after tasting, we all agreed that it was bad, even without knowing how red velvet is supposed to be like. To put it simply, this tasted like a slice of cheapo birthday sponge cake that you buy off the shelves in neighbourhood bakery stores. I'm not trying to be overly critical, but this simply isn't a fair impression for first-timers of red velvet. Feeling indignant, this was simply doing injustice to the simple yet indulgent dessert. 

It wasn't moist enough and didn't have enough cocoa taste to it. The only redeeming factor is perhaps the  cream cheese frosting but this time round, it didn't exactly lift the taste of it as it was just a combination of very sweet cake and frosting. 

Nom Factor: 5.0/10

Honestly, I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of desserts, nor the taste of it. Its affordable prices and location in a central yet neighbourhood precinct was attractive to me, giving it a cosy and family-styled feel, but I felt that it had missed out the most important element of any food establishments - its taste. To me, taste should never be compromised for prices. Despite all the rave and good reviews I've heard and read, it isn't a place that I would recommend if you're serious about desserts. It certainly hadn't lived up to my expectations, though that's just based on the two that I've tried. And well, it's unlikely that I'd return again for another round for sure.

Overall Nom Factor: 5.0/10
Block 261 Waterloo Street
#01-42 Waterloo Centre 
Singapore 180261

Opening hours: 
Monday and Tuesday: 3pm - 7pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 11am - 7pm
Closed on Sundays and some Public Holidays 
(do check out their website before you make a trip down so it's not a wasted one!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram